Sunday, December 27, 2009

Memories of New Year's Past

Mama, me (5 years old) & tata (Dad) in our apartment on the 7th floor of the 10 story 'skyscraper' on 139 Marshall Tito St in Tuzla, Bosnia (former Yugoslavia). We were celebrating the New Year, which was when the "jelka" (fir tree) was decorated and "Deda Mraz" (Grandpa Frost) came to bring presents, in the then communist Yugoslavia.
Photos for festive occasions were taken by a professional photographer, this one from FotoServis. My mom is still a beauty. Photo from pre-school (obdaniste) - my friend and next door neighbor, Mischa (Milos S.), and I (we had just finished making the skirts and the hats). I remember that I had a fever that day.
Milos moved with his parents to Novi Sad, Serbia in '71 or '72.

8 comments:

Julie said...

Lovely photos of your childhood, Tash. Interesting that the custom was to engage a professional photographer.

Is you mother in the USA with you?

Tash said...

Thanks for the comment, Julie.
We moved to Los Angeles in Sept. 1970. My father's older sister lived here and sponsored us. My parents divorced in 1974 but while I lived with my mom, I still stayed close to my dad & he was always around. He passed away in 2008 at 79 from Alzheimer's. My mom lives in Torrance less than 10 minutes away. She will be 80 next March.

Brenda's Arizona said...

And did your family keep in touch with Mischa? I'd wonder what happened to him. I love how you describe your life and holidays. Thank you for sharing this snapshot of your life.

cieldequimper said...

Oh wow, just like my Mum in a communist country.
These are lovely Tash, your Mom really is a beauty, your Dad isn't half bad either and you were so cute!

Anonymous said...

Oh, for sjur, jur mom was not the only beauty in the family.

Ja, dat's vat ve say in Norvay.

PJ said...

That's very sweet, Tash. It's so interesting to learn about each other's lives in these measured ways. I lost my photos to a hurricane or would certainly be sharing some of my warm memories of life in France and other places i grew up in. Aren't they treasures now when we look back on these kinds of photos?

I'm sure you're mother is very proud of you - and she is a beauty.

Petrea Burchard said...

Tash, these are so, so sweet. I remember when your father died. I was just getting to know you on your blog, we hadn't yet met. I remember the photo you posted to commemorate him--a blazing sunset, wasn't it?

I'm glad your mom's nearby. I guess you got her looks!

Anonymous said...

They are adorable but also kind of funny (the spindly tree and growing up on Tito St). I see your adult face in your baby face. I also like looking at your parents because I get a sense of how their features blend with that of their children; (and you have a brother?) Saw a few put up on FB too.

Sorry on the late response. My organization was violently disrupted by the worst flue I've had since the early 90's. Now Mr V has it.