Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Abbey San Encino - Highland Park (Northeast Los Angeles), CA



Posted by Picasa Abbey San Encino, 1909-25
Clyde Browne
6211 Arroyo Glen Street
"...The house begins with Mission Revival and ends with regionalized Spanish. Browne's grandson, Jackson Browne, the singer, once lived here." An Architectural Guidebook to Los Angeles, Gebhard and Winter, 2003
For much more info on this house, consult the wonderful Big Orange Landmarks by Floyd B. Bariscale. Jackson Brown posed sitting in the courtyard of The Abbey on his album The Everyman.

This post is for Mister Earl and Pasadena Adjacent.

8 comments:

Mister Earl said...

Thanks, Tash. Glad you got to see the Abbey. If you ever come across the book Story of a Holdout, a bio of Jackson Browne, there's a chapter about the Abbey in it. Unfortunately, it's out of print and copies go for around $85.

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew who lived there now. The chain link fence isn't exactly inviting. Also, if you walk the length of that street, its a tad menacing. Altadena Hiker is under the impression this place is a commune. Thanks for the dedication although when I reread this comment it doesn't sound so. I'm blogging in the middle of the night.

Mister Earl said...

PA - Severin Browne, Jackson's brother, lives there. The house still owned by the Browne family.

Can you give me a clue where the Norma Tanega house is?

Reader Wil said...

Lovely building Tash! It must have been very important.

Floyd B. Bariscale said...

Nice shots (and thanks for the plug).

Skrip said...

What a beauty this building is! I miss my old L.A.!

Anonymous said...

This is one of those buildings were if you spend any time in Highland Park, you may drive by it every day, until you notice it, when you absolutely have to get out of your car and check it out!
Wish I could see the inside...

Mister Earl said...

New website shows inside views. They've cleaned it up an are marketing it for photo and film shoots. Click on each photo to see more.

http://www.abbeysanencino.com/