Thursday, March 25, 2010

STREETSCAPES: Disney Hall by Frank O. Gehry & Partners - Los Angeles, CA

Since I wasn't able to show the shimmery, reflective aspect of the polished aluminum, here is a great website to see the views inside and out, and photos taken during construction -- arcspace_architects_gehry_disney
I used to work as an usher at the Music Center across the street from Disney Hall in 1976/77. Back then, the location of the concert hall was the employees' parking lot.

3 comments:

ben wideman said...

Tash, crazy how the top photo shows so many shades considering that I always just assumed it looked silver and shiny any way you looked at it. Cool photo!

tapirgal said...

Hi Tash,

This is really interesting. The more I stay away from L.A. the more it becomes intriguing. Maybe I need a good field trip back :) The inside looks useful. I wonder if the outside shapes actually do anything? Maybe it's for the accoustics inside.

I saw your comment on Lee's Amizade Adventure. I'm reading the sequel to The World is Flat (Hot, Flat, and Crowded) and I recommend it highly. While flattening has a lot to recommend it, I sure hate to see the disappearance of diversity in culture. He talks a lot about diversity in ecology and how ecology must go hand in hand with economic recovery, but so far hasn't mentioned the downside of losing human cultural diversity. Plenty to think about, for sure. I also related to your other comment there. "The Gods Must Be Crazy" was such a cool movie. It's been a long time, though. I mainly remember the coke bottle taking an "Incredible Journey."

cieldequimper said...

I love your angle here and much prefer the colour photo.