Monday, June 27, 2011

"Spomenik" in Croatia by "Autocesta A6" Paystation Kikovaci

My artist friend Liz came across a web page with huge concrete WWII monuments of the former Socijalistička Federativna Republika Jugoslavija. While driving from Zagreb to the Adriatic coast last year, I happened upon one and had to make a slight detour to get a closer look.
WWII Memorial to Jugoslavs executed there in 1942 by Fascists (photo from August 2010)

The plaque states that on 12 July 1942, 91 men and boys, ages 16 to 60, were mercilessly shot by the fascist occupiers 

Monument with Dinaric Alps in the background

Wall Flower
Google Maps coordinates:  45.375513,14.497082

4 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

Your photos are dramatic. I was going to say it's a fitting monument, but I don't think such a monument could be made.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I'm a tither with excitement. I know I should have a certain sense of decorum for lives lost blah blah blah, but my personal esthetics for all things related to "wonders in concrete" won't allow me. This is extraordinary. If I were rich, I'd be visiting all the Soviets losses. Counties such as Euzbek and all the "Stans"

TheChieftess said...

Wow...Interesting monument!

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I keep coming back to visit. I'm really charmed