The Com. Heim Bridge (green structure) is part of State Route 47 (the Terminal Island Freeway), crossing over the Cerritos Channel and is heavily used by trucks coming and going to the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. The bridge opened in Jan. 1948. The H. Ford bridge is, oddly, a railway bridge.
Good write-ups on the bridges can be seen PORT AUTHORITY info and Heim in Wikipedia and H. Ford in Wikipedia.
(Per Wiki, Mannix TV show opening sequence was filmed on the Heim bridge. My dad and I loved watching that show in the late '60s, in former Yugoslavia.)
See many more bridges in "Louis La Vache's" Sunday Bridges Series.

3 comments:
Oh, yes! There are lots of bridges in this area of so. Cal! This is a very busy bridge serving those who work in the area. Nice capture.
Those bridges LOOK industrial!
Great post, Tash! «Louis» appreciates your participation in Sunday Bridges.
That's got to be the sturdiest bridge I've ever seen! Growing up in MI, I'm curious how the Henry Ford Bridge got it's name :D
Post a Comment