Thursday, July 8, 2010

Memories of the '70s -- Angeles Crest Highway, San Gabriel Mts, CA

October 1970, somewhere along the Angeles Crest Hwy
This was our first excursion into the local mountains. The ride was a very long one since we started in Hawthorne. We finally found a roadside stop that appealed to my aunt and had our picnic. Even at 12, I was proud of my capture here.
From the top - counterclockwise,
My dad, siting on the bench; his oldest sister, his 1st cousin, my mom, and cousin's wife.
My dad and his sister have passed away, but everyone else is still doing well.

October 1970
Somewhere near Mt. Wilson.
Me, Dad, and Mom.

7 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

It's so important to take family photos...Memories!!!
Was that Corvair in the first photo, the family car?

Pasadena Adjacent said...

That's so funny. The Corvette (gads that must of been a long drive if that was your steed) and setting up a blanket on asphalt; and the gals are in skirts!!. Photos of my female kin from that period have what I refer to as "Bobs Big Boy waitress hair. Remember that? think Marge Simpson

Tash said...

I think it is a Corvair. It belonged to my Dad's cousin's wife (or girlfriend at that time). She wishes she'd hung onto it now.

Our 1st car here was an old white Dodge, 4 door, that smelled of old vinyl seats and cigar smoke. But it ran OK and it was cheep. The next car was a Dodge Dart Swinger, green with white vinyl roof which I got when I started driving. It was actually very sporty. (But at that time, I dreamed of the Mod Squad car - Challenger...so funny to see them back on the road now!). I also dreamed of looking like Peggy Lipton, but that's another thread. My dad then got a red Monte Carlo (2-door, black vinyl roof), which I later got too with 100,000 miles on it. That's the car I wish I'd kept!

Tash said...

PA - it was a long ride...on a curvy road. As I was posting this, I remebered that we were tired way before we stopped, but my dad's sister did not like any other places. Finally, this one met her appoval. My mom didn't own a pair of pants till the mid '70s (a pastel pants suit, I think) and even then she wore them very little. Now she wears pants 99% of the time (because they go best with her chunky diabetic shoes).

TheChieftess said...

Love these old pictures!!! What precious memories!!!

Petrea Burchard said...

A happy bunch. I love these shots. And the car, of course. So nostalgic.

Anonymous said...

These are very dear, and the roadside picnic made me smile.