Saturday, November 20, 2010

Sunday Bridges ... with a Sigh -- Oxford, UK

"Bridge of Sighs" by day

"Bridge of Sighs" by night
From an information placard:
"Bridge of Sighs" built in 1913-1914, affectionately named after the "Ponte di Sospiri" in Venice, arches gracefully over New College Lane, uniting two quads and the buildings of Hertford College.
The city wall is inspected by the mayor every third year as part of the agreement back in 1379 when New College was given permission to be founded just inside the city wall.
Evelyn Waugh, author of "Brideshead Revisited" (one of my favorites) is a graduate of Hertford College.
Join "Louis la Vache's" Sunday Bridges.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

day or night, this is a beautiful bridge. makes me "sigh".:p

Francisca said...

Both shots are worth sighing over... lovely! I scrolled down your blog and enjoyed a lot of appealing posts - super reflections and many others!

Linnea said...

Charming and elegant! What a pretty spot to become enlightened in! Thanks for stopping by. (Yes, the parking along the waterfront is public - free too - for now at least!)

joo said...

Beautiful and chic:)
Happy Sunday to you:)

Cezar and Léia said...

Two "different moods" :)
Wonderful post!
Léia

VioletSky said...

It blends in rather well for being a few hundred years difference in age with the buildings it connects!

Andy said...

The bridge is a piece of art and your photos have done it justice.

EG CameraGirl said...

Such elegance! WOW!

TheChieftess said...

Gorgeous shots Tash!!!

genie said...

After taking students to England year after year, I recognized this one immediately. I love it and it brings back fabulous memories. I need to go back through my Thanks so much for posting it this week. It has made my day!

Lesley said...

This is gorgeous any time of day, or night.

Jim said...

It's fantastic.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Petrea Burchard said...

My heart skipped when I saw these photos, Tash. I spent a life-changing summer at Oxford several years ago, and the Bridge of Sighs is a beautiful sight to me.

-K- said...

Unlike a lot of people here, I have never heard of the Bridge of Sighs. What a wonderful piece of architecture (a word I can never spell correctly). And the bottom photo is superb.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

Your a long way from CSLA.

I prefer Waugh's The Loved One.

Linda said...

You even captured an Oxford don.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots!