Crystal Cathedral - Garden Grove, CA (Weekend Reflection)
Crystal Cathedral, 16 January 2010 Crystal Cathedral - detail, 16 January 2010 Crystal Cathedral - detail, 16 January 2010 This is my "no brainer" contribution for James' Weekend Reflection.
10 comments:
Anonymous
said...
a fab capture of the crystal cathedral. i forgot how imposing a structure it is...looks like beautiful skies in the la basin...
That looks really cool and so do your Performing Arts Center pictures. They really bring me back. My elementary school was less than a mile from that church. Well, the old building before they built the Crystal Cathedral. I was at the Orange Circle yesterday and I could see the Cathedral from there.
Also I lived a good part of my adult life in Costa Mesa not far from the performing arts center and I'm staying just down the street from there now. :)
The reverend Schular fought long and hard to have this church made. Considering his early congregants gathered in a drive in theater (or was it a converted super market?) it was, lets say, a leap of faith. I do remember he felt like he was following in the tradition of the great cathedrals of Europe BUT had the insight to base his 20th century vision on a 20th century architect Philip Johnson.
I know this stuff because my grandmother, another fellow Iowan of dutch extraction, was a check writing TV watching member.
The top one looks like one of Bob of Saint Louis Daily's HDR pieces. And you didn't have to make three different exposures and then run them through the software. Pretty good Miss Natasha, pretty darn good!
10 comments:
a fab capture of the crystal cathedral. i forgot how imposing a structure it is...looks like beautiful skies in the la basin...
Fantastic! I am in love with this architecture!
Wow. Never been there. It's quite a building. Your top shot's a stunner.
Wow do these images sparkle or what! Nice series of good photos.
That looks really cool and so do your Performing Arts Center pictures. They really bring me back. My elementary school was less than a mile from that church. Well, the old building before they built the Crystal Cathedral. I was at the Orange Circle yesterday and I could see the Cathedral from there.
Also I lived a good part of my adult life in Costa Mesa not far from the performing arts center and I'm staying just down the street from there now. :)
Love the opening image, but all 3 are superb. What a cool place, thanks for sharing.
Ciao
Eleonora
For as long as I have heard about the Crystal Cathedral, I never in my mind pictured it looking like this! Love the angles of your shots.
The reverend Schular fought long and hard to have this church made. Considering his early congregants gathered in a drive in theater (or was it a converted super market?) it was, lets say, a leap of faith. I do remember he felt like he was following in the tradition of the great cathedrals of Europe BUT had the insight to base his 20th century vision on a 20th century architect Philip Johnson.
I know this stuff because my grandmother, another fellow Iowan of dutch extraction, was a check writing TV watching member.
The top one looks like one of Bob of Saint Louis Daily's HDR pieces. And you didn't have to make three different exposures and then run them through the software. Pretty good Miss Natasha, pretty darn good!
Wow, this place is stunning!!
Post a Comment